Thursday 17 February 2011

Intuitive art direction

Of late, possibly because after Chris met with the headhunters IndigoMile who told him that if we walked into an agency proclaiming us both as copywriter's they'd laugh us out of the door, I've taken more of an interest in art direction.

During our One Day in January event, I visualised 4 storyboards within a couple of hours, when usually it would take me around two hours to visualise just one due to my complete rut in confidence when it comes to drawing. And if I'm honest, I didn't think they were half bad. I think my increasing interest in art direction is mainly due to necessity, partly curiousity but mostly my downright OCD drives me towards it. But I still believe a certain degree of good art direction is down to pure intuition.

The following ad is a brilliant demonstration of what I perceive to be intuitive art direction. Each frame is so beautifully shot that they could make still photos; a very Stanley Kubric-esque style of film-making. I have no idea how the art director, Shishir Patel of DDB London, knew what shots to film and how they'd come together to bring out such emotion, but he did, and they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment